veggie burger adventure
I decided to make some veggie burgers from scratch for dinner. They turned out well with a delicious flavor, topped with cheddar and served with avocado, tomato, lettuce and a cilantro caesar dressing. The only stumbling block was making the patties too thin, which made flipping them somewhat difficult. Here’s the recipe I concocted:
1/3 cup dry black beans
3/4 cup dry brown lentils
2 white mushrooms, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
4 small carrots, diced
3 tbsp chia seed, finely ground
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp Sciabica’s Jalapeño olive oil
1 tsp Liquid Smoke
1. pre-soak black beans for at least 6 hours.
2. Cook lentils and beans until they are fairly soft – lentils 4o min., beans 60-70 min. Let cool.
3. Combine beans and lentils with all other ingredients except chia seed in a bowl.
4. For smoother texture, process mixture in food processor or blender for 30 seconds (optional)
5. Add ground chia seed and stir. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
6. Place mixture balls on oiled cookie sheet and press into patties.
7. Broil on high for 8-10 minutes per side.
8. Serve with favorite toppings and eat. Leftovers can be frozen, if there are any… YUM!